Process of unknown becoming known

What is this strange attraction to unknown languages? I can't figure out why I love to hear conversations in languages that I can't understand.

It all starts with the musicality of a language. As I hear the natives talk, I feel the ease, passion and love that comes out.

The inflections, intonations and expressions entice me into the new world, making me read pages and pages on Wikipedia - history of the language, it's phonetics, morphology, semantics and so on. I don't want to dwell much into this aspect of the language, I move on to cultural, social and historical progress of the people themselves.

This comes from the fact that I have majored in one the ancient languages of the world - Sanskrit. Innumerable books have been written on the rich heritage and socio impact that this sanskrit has had over Southeast Asia. From young age I have been taught that sanskrit is superior to all languages. Deep down I still want to believe that. But that does not mean that other languages cannot stand in comparison. Today I fall in love with a new language very easily. Yet, as of now, it is restricted to Asian languages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion

Fun with features (inspired by Aarthi Sanjay)

Five years gone in a blink of an eye!